H. Skjalm P. since 1953
The company H. Skjalm P. was established as a retail store in the historical surroundings of Nikolaj Plads
in Copenhagen in 1953 by Hagbarth Skjalm Petersen and his wife Lisbeth Westergaard.
Hagbarth Skjalm Petersen was an “enfant terrible” who always wanted to go his own way.
It was to H. Skjalm P. retail store that design conscious citizens of Copenhagen came when they
wanted to acquire the latest news in home textiles, handicrafts and kitchen utensils.
Skjalm’s attitude was to create the “red thread” in the product development and designs, while at
the same time continuing to innovate in addition to the usual. He was thus always one of the first
to introduce new colors, shapes and graphic expressions.
In the early 80’s, the company began to import large quantities of designer goods from England and
it was the start of a growing wholesale business.
Since then, it has evolved into a recognized design brand, which presents a new collection every six
months, starting with the founder of the company’s philosophy of innovative designs based on natural
materials of good quality and with a Scandinavian look.
Since 1995, the company, in his spirit, has been continued by Skjalm’s widow Lisbeth Westergaard,
CEO Rachid Moula and the employees of H. Skjalm P.
Today H. Skjalm P. design is sold all over the world and the two floored flagship store located in the center of Copenhagen is still
the place to go, when looking for edgy danish design or the ultimate kitchen utensils.